Oral maxillofacial surgeon in Delhi NCR
Oral maxillofacial surgeon in Delhi NCR
Dr. Amrita Gogia
Senior Consultant Dental Sciences
Dr. Vandana Sehgal
Associate Consultant Dental Sciences
Dr. Nanda Kumar N
Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, Fortis Malar
Dr Arun sethia
Sr. Consultant Dental Surgery
Dr. Ashish Kakar
Oral And Maxillofacial Surgeon, Apollo Hospitals Indraprastha,Delhi
Oral maxillofacial surgery second opinion
Oral and maxillofacial surgeon
These surgeons are skilled in treating diseases related to face or facial injuries, facial pain, teeth, jaws, neck. They are trained in performing dental implants or other bone grafting procedures to treat any defect or injury to the face.
What do they do?
Maxillofacial surgeons are trained to treat conditions like
- Rebuilding misaligned jaws
- Rebuilding nose, eye socket due to injury in accident
- Wisdom teeth extraction
- Oral reconstructive surgery
- Cancer of head or neck area
- Dental implants
In other words we can say that the maxillofacial surgeons perform cosmetic surgeries related to facial features. They also attend dental school in which they learn general dentistry.
Dental implant surgery is a procedure of replacing damaged or missing tooth with a removable or fixed artificial tooth, which has the exact look and feel like the real ones.
When it is done
If you have
- one or more missing teeth
- have healthy jawbone for holding implant
- discomfort in wearing dentures.
- several months of time to give for this procedure
Then this procedure is the best option for you.
How it is done
Dental implant could be a long procedure existing up to several months. The procedure starts with
- Removal of damaged tooth
- then if the jawbone of the patient is weak and could not sustain the implant, grafting is initiated
- Dental implant best suitable for the patient is placed
- Then time is given for healing
- in the last step the abutment (piece where artificial tooth will eventually be placed)
- artificial tooth is placed
Most of the time goes in waiting for healing and growth of new bone in your jaw.
Types of artificial teeth
The artificial tooth are called crown. Crowns come in two types
- Denture : It consists of white artificial teeth and pink plastic gum. It is mounted on a metal frame that is placed on implant abutment. It is convenient in removing for repairing or cleaning.
- Permanent Implant : The artificial tooth is permanently fixed by screwing it to the implant abutment. Removing is not possible in this case.
Most of the dental implants are successful however after the surgery you may experience swelling in the gums, some bleeding or pain but these are all normal and will heal soon. Despite the surgery one need to practice healthy oral hygiene regime.
Jaw surgery is done to realign the jaw with the teeth so that they function to their fullest potential. This surgery also enhances the facial symmetry. Jaw surgery is recommended usually after the growth of an individual halts, that is after the age of 17 years. This surgery may also need you to wear braces on your teeth.
Why this surgery is recommended
This surgery is recommended to an individual who has
- discomfort in chewing and biting the food or couldn’t chew or bite properly.
- speech defect
- Open bite where the incisors do not touch when taking a bite whereas the teeth at back touches.
- facial asymmetry like small or displaced chin, cross bites or overbites.
- problem of lip not getting closed properly
Types of Jaw surgery
Surgery could be classified on the basis of the jaw bone to be operate or having a deformity. Surgery on upper jaw is performed to treat conditions like
- receded upper jaw
- cross bite
- upper teeth are exposed abnormally
- open bite
- reduced facial growth of the middle of the face
Depending upon the above mentioned conditions the surgeon takes call to either cut the upper jaw bone and realign it to the normal standard or cut the short the jaw bone in case of excess growth of bone like in the case of open bite.
Surgery on lower jaw is performed to treat
- receding lower jaw
- protruding (sticking out) lower jaw.
In this type of surgery the surgeon makes a cut in the lower jaw behind the molar dividing the bone into two and the first part is moved as one unit to align with the face accordingly.
The third surgery is called genioplasty also known as chin surgery.
Chin surgery is performed to treat the condition of receded lower jaw which reduces your chin from your face creating asymmetry in appearance.
In this the surgeon takes out a piece of jaw bone and places it in such with the help of screws and plates that it appears like a normal chin from the outside.
These surgery are very important and has benefits like it improves the function of teeth and overall appearance of the face making it more balanced and symmetrical. This further facilitates in improved sleep, breathing, chewing and swallowing by the patient. Secondary benefits may be improved appearance with improved confidence and self esteem.
Cleft lip is an abnormal feature of lip right from the birth. It is common among Asian and 1 in 600 births are affected by this irregularity.
It occurs when the fetus fails to join the upper lips together leaving an opening sometimes extending up to the nose trills during its developing stage inside the womb. It is common among boys. Also, point to be noted that people with cleft lip are otherwise healthy and no other irregularity or disability persists.
It may be stressful for the parents to adjust to the very noticeable cleft lip. There are different kind of cleft lip as shown in pictures above.
Causes of this condition are unclear. Some part of causes are attributed to the genes inherited from parents and the rest is still not completely understood by the scientists. Due to the involvement of genes, the chances of recurrence of cleft lip increases. Hence genetic consultation from the doctor is
Short Term Side Effects of Surgery
- Short term difficulty in taking food, depending upon the age of the patient you can give them liquid diet. Breast milk is allowed for the infant. Care must be taken to protect the stitches after the surgery.
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that is performed to extract fat from the desired part of the body of the patient. Parts could be abdomen, breasts, hips, thighs, arms or neck. Body contouring is another name for this surgery. As the surgery helps in getting the shape of the particular part of the body back.
Liposuction is not the conventional method or true weight loss method. One can lose way more weight by diet, exercise and other bariatric procedures than by liposuction. It is suitable in condition when one may have excess fat in some particular area and the overall weight is normal and stable.
More about surgery
Liposuction is used when conventional methods fail to extract fat from ares of the body such as
- Chest and back
- Chin and neck
Liposuction is also used as breast reduction.
If you have a great skin with elasticity it facilitates the liposuction by adjusting itself after surgery as per the desired contours.
Like any other surgery the liposuction too comes with some set of risks that are
- Contour irregularity: If your skin is not smooth or lacks elasticity then your skin may appear loose after surgery. These changes may be permanent.
- Infection: Several types of infection risks are there including fluid accumulation beneath the skin which further needs to be drained via needles.
- Numbness: Patient may feel temporary numbness in the operated area or irritation.
Risks increases if the surgical area is large and involves multiple procedures during the same operation.
Tumescent liposuction: The most common type of liposuction where a sterile solution (a mixture of salt water) is injected which aids in fat removal. Then the fats and fluids are sucked out by a tube like structure called cannula by the surgeon.
Ultrasound assisted liposuction: Using a metallic rod which emits ultrasound energy the fat cells are destroyed and removed from the body.
Laser assisted liposuction: This technique uses laser to rupture the fat cells and then are removed from the body. A fiber which emits the laser is inserted by making a small incision and the fats are removed using cannula.
Power assisted liposuction: In this surgical procedure cannula is used in high speed back and forth motion in removing the fat.
The results of liposuction are long lasting provided you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Wisdom tooth extraction
Adults have four molar teeth but the last molar teeth (also called wisdom tooth) to pop out may cause unnecessary pain and discomfort in chewing food due to cramped up space inside the mouth.
Hence, doctors often recommend for extraction of that tooth.
Problems caused by wisdom tooth
Some adults never get wisdom tooth at all whereas some get partial or full wisdom tooth. Also, not all wisdom tooth causes problem. But when they cause one that becomes unbearable like
- excessive pain
- restricting chewing capability.
- trapping food
- tooth decay if the tooth is not completely erupted
- risk of future dental problems or complications
Talk to your dentist and ask question as soon as you get wisdom teeth. The surgery is small and doesn’t require a follow up meeting as you stitches will get dissolved after few days and you will be relieved from the pain.
01. Organization !
We are a group of surgeons from different surgical specialities and not a intermediate/ middleman medical website company just in the business of giving second opinion.
02. Our principles !
We want to re-establish the dwindling lack of trust between the doctors and patients with our honest second opinion.
03. No financial expectation bias !
For your second opinion, We choose surgeons who practice in a city away from your place, so they won’t have any expectation that you would be coming to them for surgery – so no bias of financial expectation
04. We are not a Hospital !
Lot of Hospitals give second opinion. Their opinion cannot be unbiased as they would definitely be benefited if they advise surgery and they would expect you to be coming to them as patients. Whereas we are not a hospital.
05. Surgeons preferred by other doctors !
We choose the surgical panel team very carefully –after taking suggestion from other fellow doctors as to whom they would prefer if someone of their own family requires a surgery.